As we move into the illustrious Do Something Different week, we have two exciting events to announce!
The first of these takes place this Wednesday (21st of Feb) and takes the form of an all day Open Mic Extravaganza! We have an exciting line up of philosophical presentations for your discursive pleasure. There are still some spaces available, so do get in touch if you’re interested in speaking for us.
We’ll be in Elizabeth Fry 1.01 from 11am-5pm.
Refreshments will be provided, so don’t miss out!
Secondly, we are proud to announce the PPL Film Festival. This week-long series of events comes to you every evening from the 5th to the 9th of March, and hosts a diverse array of films and speakers. We’re going to be having talks on Lacanian psychoanalysis, alternative film narrative structures , and the UCU lecturers strike.
Here’s our full programme:
– Lacan’s Anxiety and Freud’s Uncanny in “Don’t Look Now”
(Nicolas Roeg, 1973)
– Introduced by Dr. Philip Dravers from the London Society of the New Lacanian School
– Strikes in British Political History and “The Great Grunwick Strike” (Chris Thomas, 2008)
– Introduced by Prof. Alan Finlayson (PPL)
– “District 9”: A Change in Aspect
(Neill Blomkamp, 2009)
– Introduced by Dr. Rupert Read (PPL)
– Image Fixation and Narrative Structure in “Blow Up”
(Michelangelo Antonioni, 1966)
– Introduced by Dr. Melanie Williams (AMA)
– Post 9/11 Paranoia in “Syriana”
(Stephen Gaghan, 2005)
– Introduced by Dr. Vincent Gaine (PPL)
All events from 7pm, in Elizabeth Fry 01.05